Have you ever noticed the texture or shine of your hair changes during the cold winter months? Are you having trouble getting your hair to hold its style? The constant temperature changes you experience when you go from the warm indoors to the frigid outdoors can wreak havoc on your hair, causing it to become dry and brittle, leading to split ends and breakage.
Follow these tips to keep your hair looking & feeling healthy all winter long:
- Turn the temperature in the shower down. Hot water isnâ%u20AC%u2122t good for your hair or skin. Instead, opt for a warm shower and finish cold. The warm water will open the hairâ%u20AC%u2122s cuticle, allowing your shampoo and conditioner to work properly. The cold water helps close the cuticle and seal in the moisture.
- Go longer between washes. Washing your hair every day strips away the natural oils your hair produces, which moisturize you scalp. By cutting your washes down to two or three days per week, your hair will start producing these oils and your hair will grow faster and look healthier. If you have a hard time styling your hair between washes, find a dry shampoo that works well for your hair type or opt for baby powder.
- Wear a hat when you go outside. A hat will protect your hair from the elements and keep you warm at the same time. If your hair style gets messed up when you wear a hat or has a lot of static electricity in it after you remove the hat, wrap your hair in a silk scarf before putting on your hair to keep the style in place and avoid static.
- Avoid using heat when possible. If there is a time to reduce the amount of heat you use on your hair it is the winter. Since your hair is already dry and brittle thanks to the winter elements, heat products (i.e. hair dryer, curling iron, flat iron) will increase split ends and breakage. If you canâ%u20AC%u2122t avoid heat products, incorporate a heat protectant into your hair routine.
- Use a deep conditioning treatment. Use a deep conditioning treatment once a week to help replenish the moisture in your hair that gets depleted from dry heat and frigid temperatures. An alternative to a deep conditioning treatment is a moisturizing oil, which you can apply to your hair after washing.
- Invest in a humidifier. Humidifiers put the moisture back in the air that is depleted from the dry heat that is present from your heating system. This moisture will not only make your home feel warmer than it is but will help the moisture in your hair and skin, thus avoiding dry, cracked skin and brittle hair.
In addition to these tips, commit yourself to regular haircuts. Even if you arenâ%u20AC%u2122t ready for a new style, getting a trim will help maintain the style and shape of your hair and will get rid of the dead, split ends leaving your hair looking healthy.
To book your next haircut, give Bella Salon & Spa a call at (978) 777-3717.