Life is hectic and messy but it’s also exciting but when you start becoming stressed more frequently, it can be a sign of a bigger problem. As something that is completely normal and healthy, stress should never affect you negatively.
Here are 5 signs your stress is negatively affecting you and what to do about it.
1. You’re having difficulty remembering things
When a person experiences high levels of stress, they often feel like they’re running around like a chicken that had it’s head cut off. This is your brain going into fight-or-flight mode, which can make it difficult to focus. Your brain can actually create false memories, too, which in turn makes it difficult to remember things.
2. Decision making takes a long time
When you’re stressed, decision-making skills can go out the window, making it difficult to not overthink situations and make you second guess your every move.
3. You’re angry and irritable
Have you found yourself snapping at people easily and getting frustratef with the smalled tasks? It’s because your stress is starting to deplete your energy. After awhile, this turns into a downward spiral, causing you to become more drained and resort to negative emotions.
4. Feelings or anxiety or depression are heightened
Negative emotions can cause stress and so they can also heighted mental health disorders, such as anxiety and depression. If ot managed properly, these can cause an influx of issues.
5. Bad judgement and poor impulse control
Emotions are hard to control, especially when you’re stressed. If you’re under extreme stress, it can be more difficult to avoid poor decision and cause poor impulse control, which can be chaotic.
What to Do About Stress
- Look deeper into what’s causing your stress. Is it a situation at work? Is it an argument with your significant other? Try to separate these issues and break them down. Talk about how you are feeling with someone you trust and make a plan for getting out of this rut.
- Meditate. Every person meditates differently, making it important to try different ways. Traditional ways to meditating don’t work for everyone, so don’t get discouraged. Instead, find other hobbies that help you relax. Book a massage, go for a run, take a hot bath.